1) Sustainability Problem: Roadway lighting serves as a vital safety feature for busy streets and highways where visibility is essential. Roadway lights can also indicate the difference between a pedestrian and a car zone. However, light pollution and meeting today’s demanding energy reduction ambitions is getting challenging. Forecasts indicate that 5 billion people (60% of the world’s population) will live in cities by 2050 and, according to the International Energy Agency, the overall demand for lighting will be 80% higher by 2030 than in 2005. Moreover, sea level rise and flooding is another major problem for future of the street lighting and everything with LEDs and cables would have died there in the sea.
2) Technological Solutions: Studio Roosegaarde is creating magic through light: Smart Highway, Van Gogh Bike Path, and ICOON AFSLUITDIJK comprise the creation of a subtle layer of light and interaction on an iconic 32-kilometer-long dike that protects the Netherlands against flooding. Studio Roosegaarde presents three designs of light and communication, called GATES OF LIGHT, WINDVOGEL, and GLOWING NATURE.
A Smart Highway
-A smart highway that replaces energy-wasting streetlamps with specially designed “Glowing Lines.”
-Proven the feasibility of N329- Road of the Future, perhaps Roosegaarde can begin developing a plan for the dynamic paint, electricity-generating windmills, and motion-sensing lights
Van Gogh Bike Path
-The path is illuminated by thousands of twinkling stones that feature glow-in-the-dark technology and solar-powered LED lights.
-The entire route is 335 kilometers (208 miles) long
-For the GATES OF LIGHT entrance at both sides of the dyke, they applied retro-reflective prisms to the buildings, which light up by the headlamps of passing cars.
-After sunset Drive through GATES OF LIGHT after sunset and bring the floodgates to life through the headlamps of your car, as an alternative to polluting street lights!”
– Each WINDVOGEL kite generates 20 to 100 kW, supplying energy for 200 households.
-GLOWING NATURE shows the beauty of nature Studio Roosegaarde works with live algae, one of the oldest microorganisms in the world. They created the world’s largest luminous algae site!”
-Moreover, all of them are art installations of the 21st century
Beckett Mufson, “Roads Of The Future Are Here… And They Glow In The Dark”, Creators, Apr 14, 2014
Veerle Devos, “Daan Roosegaarde Does MAgic With Light,” November 2017
CNN Staff, “Bike path inspired by Van Gogh’s ‘Starry Night’ opens in Netherlands,” November 14, 2014
#smartcity #futureroad #lightpollution #smartart #smarthighway #lights #energyefficiency #flooding #safety #health #sustainability #smartcity #BT2443
3) Key stakeholders and their role in the implementation:
–City, state, and government municipals support and include their plan for the new highway and innovation of the road, dams and bike paths encourage private sectors and local artists partner with innovators-Financial Institutions-Financing future road projects
-Educate youth through art and technology on the road safety and light pollution and smart energy consumption
4) Steps Deploying Technology:
-Build prosperous environment for the utility companies to use technology and art and financial institutions finance utility companies
-Within Public Private People’s Partnership educate each stakeholder how to avoid light pollution that could influence our health and at the same time save energy and money
-Educate youth road safety and art through future roads.
I recommend cities across the globe duplicate projects. Moreover, music festivals could use innovations to decrease their GHG emission and light pollution.