Hey guys, here are a few bullet points from Vincent Kneefel, our guest speaker last week from the UN Global Compact, regarding the SDGs:
- Ahead of the September SDG (Sustainable Development Goals) launch in New York this fall, both governments and businesses are trying to decipher how the goals will affect their strategies.
- John F. Kennedy quote illuminates the power of goal-setting: “By defining our goal more clearly, by making it seem more manageable and less remote, we can help all peoples to see it, to draw hope from it, and to move irresistibly towards it.”
- The key impacts of the Development Goals:
- Catalyze social mobilization;
- Create peer pressure;
- Spur networks of expertise, knowledge and practice into action around sustainable development challenges
- Mobilize stakeholder networks for a common purpose
- The SDGs, slated for implementation from 2016 through 2030, are build on the previous Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), which end this year. The MDGs’ 15-year run yielded a marked reduction in poverty and better disease control, galvanizing a global effort previously unseen. The SDGs are designed, in part, to pick up where the MDGs left off. Beyond poverty reduction and education, the 17 SDGs go into climate change, energy access, biodiversity and oceans.