As e-commerce becomes interestingly popular among the younger population, receiving packages in an easier and safer way also becomes a concern. The traditional delivery method of leaving packages on doorsteps for single-family homes or handing them to the doorman at apartment buildings are not only vulnerable to theft but also time-consuming to process – an unreliable delivery method during predominate e-commerce era when a household receives multiple packages a day. A smart package locker system that could be configured to adapt the setting of residential/ commercial areas is expected to significantly improve package- receiving experiences. This technology has been implemented by Amazon in some neighborhoods and areas (Amazon Locker) but could be expanded to more residential/ commercial buildings potentially.
Technology: Smart Locker System
- Install smart locker system in apartment/commercial buildings, residential areas based on estimated service population size and grant delivery carriers (UPS, USPS, FedEx, HDL) access to the locker.
- Instead of going door-by-door to leave packages on the doorsteps or handing them to the doorman, delivery staff place packages inside the smart locker and input the recipient’s information in the locker by scanning the shipping label.
- Once a package has been placed in a locker, an automated text message will be sent by the locker system to the package’s intended recipient with a barcode or PIN number.
- To retrieve the package, the recipient simply scan the barcode he or she received earlier or input the PIN number at the smart locker
- The smart locker system could also be utilized to drop-off out-going packages.
- Postal carriers (UPS, USPS, FedEx, HDL, etc.)
- Property owners of residential/commercial buildings
- Smart locker system provider
- Property owners/managers conduct a survey of building users and residents to estimate to estimate size of locker needed
- Contact locker provider to configure and install smart locker system in the building
- Grant delivery carriers access to the smart locker and provide them with proper training